We're looking for experienced machine learning engineers to join our fast moving team. We work on a range of interesting and challenging problems, from making sure deliveries are efficient and on-time to helping customers decide what to buy. Machine learning is at the heart of this effort and an essential ingredient in Instacart's aggressive growth plan and vision for the future.
We love machine learning engineers who are motivated not only by researching new solutions, but by owning the problem end to end. There is tremendous opportunity in front of us, and joining now gives you a chance to grow your career and interests as we succeed.
ABOUT THE JOB
- You will be dedicated to a small cross-discipline product team, with tremendous ownership and responsibility for managing things directly.
- You will be an active member of an internal community of data scientists, operations research scientists and machine learning engineers sharing learnings, best practices and research across many domains.
- You will ship high quality solutions with a sense of urgency and speed.
- You will work closely with engineers, product managers, other teams, and both internal and external stakeholders, owning a large part of the process from problem understanding to shipping the solution.
- You will have the freedom to suggest and drive organization-wide initiatives.
- 3+ years of industry experience using machine learning to solve real-world problems with large datasets
- A graduate degree in artificial intelligence, machine learning or equivalent self study and experience
- Self-motivation and a strong sense of ownership
- A blend of data engineering, machine learning and product innovation skills that let you jump into a fast paced environment and contribute from day one
- Strong programming skills in Python and fluency in data manipulation (SQL, Spark, Pandas) and machine learning (scikit-learn, XGBoost, Keras/Tensorflow) tools
- An ability to balance a sense of urgency with shipping high quality and pragmatic solutions
- Extensive experience building scalable machine learning systems and data-driven products working with cross functional teams
- Willing and able to travel internationally based on job requirements
- Expertise in machine learning for search optimization, discovery driven recommendations, or advertising optimization
- Expertise in natural language and/or image processing for e-commerce catalog quality, enrichment and optimization
- Expertise in combining machine learning and operations research to solve optimal routing or inventory management problems
- Expertise with deep learning methods and their practical application at scale
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Instacart’s same-day delivery and pickup services bring fresh groceries and everyday essentials to busy people and families across the U.S. and Canada in as fast as an hour. Since its founding in 2012, Instacart has become an essential service for millions of families, while also serving as an immediate, flexible earnings opportunity for hundreds of thousands of shoppers across North America. The company partners with more than 350 retailers and delivers from more than 25,000 stores across more than 5,500 cities in North America. Today, Instacart is accessible to more than 85% of households in the U.S. and more than 70% of households in Canada.
We believe that great people are the ingredients for success. We like to think that we are like a potluck—everyone brings something new, different and flavorful to the table. We believe that just as meals are best shared together, success is best shared together. Our mix of thoughtful, inventive and neighborly employees work together to deliver our common goal: to create a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. If this resonates with you, then Instacart just might be the place for you.