Every year, people across the world spend nearly one trillion dollars on groceries. It’s an industry that’s been around for centuries. Food itself, however, has been a constant in people’s lives since the beginning of time. Yes, sustenance is essential, but it’s also much more than that. Food can be a part of a daily ritual or a special moment that resonates with people on a meaningful and emotional level. It can be a much-needed break in a long day, a taste that brings back memories, a creative experiment, a shared meal with loved ones, or even comfort during a hard time. Whether it’s a special occasion or an everyday occurrence, it should always be easy for people to get the ingredients they need.
The Instacart Design Team is dedicated to making grocery shopping effortless for everyone and finding solutions to large-scale challenges that will forever change the way people feed themselves and their loved ones.
We’re looking for several User Researchers across various levels to join our Research team and help us create experiences that improve and transform our customer’s lives. You’re a passionate user advocate who owns and communicates user insights that lead to strong recommendations and successful outcomes.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Work directly with other researchers, product managers, designers and engineers to discover and design better ways to help customers explore, shop and receive groceries
- Define success metrics, goals and testable hypotheses, then plan research activities based on those definitions
- Lead research with customers and shoppers to identify meaningful insights that fuel improvements to our product features and ignite new ones
- Communicate and present insights to various stakeholders in a clear and persuasive manner
- Facilitate and help shape the design process
- Experience in conducting research in a consumer-focused product organization - bonus points if the product served multiple customer types
- Proven ability to integrate insights into product design and a user-centered design practice
- Expertise in user research, information architecture and interaction design, and clear and compelling written and presentation delivery
- Deep understanding and experience with various qualitative and quantitative research methodologies and techniques such as contextual inquiries and interviewing, usability testing, surveys, workshop facilitation, usage data analysis and triangulation
- Ability to use research insights to develop personas, journey maps and process flows
- A passion for user research, the customer and a truly collaborative spirit
- Ability to self-manage, self-motivate and deal with large amounts of complexity and ambiguity
- Willingness to do whatever needs to be done, from recruiting and managing technical setup for a study to planning complex research projects
- Experience managing concurrent projects involving cross-functional teams
- Degree in Psychology, Cognitive Science, Human-Computer Interaction, Design, Human Factors, Anthropology, a related field or the equivalent experience
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Instacart’s same-day delivery and pickup services bring fresh groceries and everyday essentials to busy people and families across the U.S. and Canada in as fast as an hour. Since its founding in 2012, Instacart has become an essential service for millions of families, while also serving as an immediate, flexible earnings opportunity for hundreds of thousands of shoppers across North America. The company partners with more than 350 retailers and delivers from more than 25,000 stores across more than 5,500 cities in North America. Today, Instacart is accessible to more than 85% of households in the U.S. and more than 70% of households in Canada.
We believe that great people are the ingredients for success. We like to think that we are like a potluck—everyone brings something new, different and flavorful to the table. We believe that just as meals are best shared together, success is best shared together. Our mix of thoughtful, inventive and neighborly employees work together to deliver our common goal: to create a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. If this resonates with you, then Instacart just might be the place for you.