Our legal team is growing! Instacart is seeking a talented Employment Counsel to handle a wide variety of contractor and employment matters that are core to the company’s business and growth. You’ll work closely with teams like human resources, finance, products, and operations to provide experienced legal advice and help tackle novel and thorny cross-disciplinary issues. You must have the ability to operate independently in a fast-paced environment, prioritize a dynamic and varied workload, and possess excellent judgment. You’ll also need to be proactive and engaged, able to work well cross-functionally both internally and externally, excited about technology and e-commerce, and ready to roll up your sleeves and dig into tough problems!
ABOUT THE JOB
- Partnering closely with Human Resources and business partners to evaluate legal risks and provide subject matter knowledge on a broad range of employment issues, including wage and hour, recruiting and hiring, training, employee management, and HR best practices
- Drafting and revising a variety of employment-related agreements and other written content such as offer letters, contractor agreements, vendor agreements, and more
- Helping to develop and implement scalable self-service tools and processes for the HR and Operations teams as the company grows
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams to structure contractor and employment law compliance across multiple jurisdictions
- Handling and resolving employment claims and litigation, including managing outside counsel
- Thinking ahead, seeing around corners, and helping to prepare for and address contractor and employment issues that may arise in the future
- J.D. from a top-tier law school and membership with at least one state bar (preferably California)
- A minimum of 5 years of related experience working on employment litigation and counseling matters (prior in-house experience preferred)
- Deep experience with employment laws in multiple states (including California) and across a wide range of issues
- Consistent track record of providing pragmatic and reasoned advice to HR and business partners
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves, get into the legal nitty gritty, and the ability to exercise sound judgment when approaching novel problems without clear answers
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Instacart’s same-day delivery and pickup services bring fresh groceries and everyday essentials to busy people and families across the U.S. and Canada in as fast as an hour. Since its founding in 2012, Instacart has become an essential service for millions of families, while also serving as an immediate, flexible earnings opportunity for hundreds of thousands of shoppers across North America. The company partners with more than 400 retailers and delivers from more than 25,000 stores across more than 5,500 cities in North America. Today, Instacart is accessible to more than 85% of households in the U.S. and more than 70% of households in Canada.
We believe that great people are the ingredients for success. We like to think that we are like a potluck—everyone brings something new, different and flavorful to the table. We believe that just as meals are best shared together, success is best shared together. Our mix of thoughtful, inventive and neighborly employees work together to deliver our common goal: to create a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. If this resonates with you, then Instacart just might be the place for you.