Design at Instacart
Every year, people across the world spend nearly one trillion dollars on groceries. It’s an industry that’s been around for centuries. Food itself, however, has been a constant in people’s lives since the beginning of time. Yes, sustenance is essential, but it’s also much more than that. Food can be a part of a daily ritual or a special moment that resonates with people on a meaningful and emotional level. It can be a much-needed break in a long day, a taste that brings back memories, a creative experiment, a shared meal with loved ones, or even comfort during a hard time. Whether it’s a special occasion or an everyday occurrence, it should always be easy for people to get the ingredients and the inspiration they need.
The Instacart Design Team is dedicated to making grocery shopping effortless for everyone and finding solutions to large-scale challenges that will forever change the way people feed themselves and their loved ones.
We are currently seeking a Senior User Researcher to act as a player-coach, supporting the immediate needs of the Retail product teams in Toronto while assessing future staffing needs and helping the research team build capacity. This is a leadership role with a great deal of opportunity for growth. You will work closely with the Retail Design Manager, and be supported by the full research team in SF. Senior User Researchers at Instacart have tremendous opportunity to shape the direction of the product with user-driven change and development. You will be joining a rapidly growing research team in an organization with great enthusiasm and appetite for insights.
The Retail Team
At Instacart, our retail design team delivers the best possible white-label experiences for both our grocery partners and their customers. We work with major brands across North America, and our online grocery platform enables retailers to build and merchandize their digital storefront. We work across the full product funnel, including the positioning of our retail solutions within the suite of our larger Instacart product spectrum, sales enablement, core platform optimization & extensions, and the internal operational and business tools that our grocers rely on.
For our customer audience, our design team focuses on understanding the core journeys of our retailer's grocery customers, from first point of contact through to re-engaging churned users. The optimization of key moments in these customer journeys propagate across our platform offering. It’s our job as designers on this team to build a platform that helps retailers build their unique business while providing excellent service to their customers.
ABOUT THE JOB
Your day to day:
- Act in a consultative and advisory role to product managers, designers, and engineers on the product team to identify research topics and proactively plan generative and evaluative research
- Define success metrics, goals and testable hypotheses, then plan research activities based on those definitions
- Independently execute multi-phased research projects end-to-end, including writing screeners and scripts, moderating user interviews, analyzing and synthesizing findings, and making strong recommendations to the team
- Work with other research-related functions such as market research, data science, and analytics to triangulate and contextualize user research findings
- Identify meaningful insights that fuel improvements to our product features and ignite new ones
- Communicate and present insights to various stakeholders in a clear and persuasive manner
- Ensure research is integrated into the product development process wherever it can have a meaningful impact
- Facilitate and help shape the research and design process
- Identify opportunities for research to have greater impact across product teams and throughout the organization
- Support other researchers by collaborating on research plans and participating in pilot sessions
- Mentor junior researchers as they support collaborative research efforts and execute independent projects
We rely on our values to guide our decisions: Solve for the Customer, Every Minute Counts, This is Your Baby, Go Far, Together and Of Course, But Maybe. What does this mean for your role? We are looking for someone who has:
- 5+ years conducting research in a consumer-focused product organization - bonus points if the product served multiple customer types
- Deep understanding and experience with various qualitative and quantitative research methodologies and techniques such as contextual inquiries and interviewing, usability testing, surveys, workshop facilitation, usage data analysis and triangulation
- Experience managing and prioritizing concurrent projects involving cross-functional teams
- Experience dealing with high levels of organizational complexity, working directly with product managers, designers, and engineers, taking into account business and technical constraints when planning research and making recommendations
- Clear and compelling presentation skills with proven ability to integrate insights into product design and a user-centered design practice
- Ability to work flexibly and efficiently, executing rigorous research in a timely manner
- Extreme organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to use research insights to develop personas, journey maps and process flows
- A passion for user research, the user, and a truly collaborative spirit
- Ability to self-manage, self-motivate and deal with large amounts of complexity and ambiguity
- Willingness to do whatever needs to be done, from recruiting and managing technical setup for a study to training engineers, designers, and PMs to help with data collection for large-scale user research projects
- Advanced degree desired; minimum of Bachelor's degree in Psychology, Cognitive Science, Human-Computer Interaction, Design, Human Factors, Anthropology, a related field or equivalent experience
Benefits & Perks
- Talented and collaborative coworkers who will both push and support you
- Market competitive salary, equity
- Medical, dental, vision benefits
- Brand-new brick-and-beam office in Liberty Village (a complete second floor in the Carpet Factory filled with natural light, many gathering spaces and meeting rooms, and a small private gym)
- Free lunch in the office; fully stocked kitchen and snack pantry
- Personal growth plans that let you stretch yourself or grow in new directions
- Take what you need vacation (and we really mean it!)
- Instacart Express Membership
Founded in 2012, Instacart is the leader in North American online groceries and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Our same-day delivery and pickup services bring everyday essentials and fresh groceries to consumers in the U.S. and Canada in as fast as an hour. We have partnered with more than 300 beloved national, regional and local retailers to deliver from more than 20,000 stores across more than 5,500 cities in North America.
We believe that great people are the ingredients for success. We like to think that we’re like a potluck—everyone brings something new, different, and flavourful to the table. We believe that just as meals are best shared together, success is best shared together. Our mix of thoughtful, inventive and neighbourly employees work together to deliver our common goal: To make grocery shopping effortless for everyone. If this resonates with you, then Instacart just might be the place for you. Welcome home.