ABOUT THE JOB
- Draft, negotiate, and implement major partner agreements, across all areas of the business
- Track contract review requests and agreed upon business terms in executed agreements
- Provide strategic and legal advice to your internal business clients
- Lead and take charge of special legal projects from start to finish
- Implement strategic sourcing best practices
- Remain up-to-date on relevant industry, consumer protection, advertising, IP, and privacy laws and regulations to ensure an ongoing ability to provide sound compliance advice
- Work closely with our product and engineering teams to provide advice on legal issues during development of new products and features
- Draft terms, policies, and disclosures, and implement related processes
- Create and update our form legal agreements
- Work on international agreements and counseling
- Think ahead, see around corners, and help to prepare for legal issues that may arise in the future
As Senior Counsel, Commercial and Product Counsel, you’ll work closely with teams like engineering, business development, and operations to help solve thorny legal problems and enable the business to scale and grow. You’ll be drafting and negotiating a wide variety of commercial arrangements with partners including retailer and advertising agreements.
You’ll also be providing sound legal advice to clients with respect to commercial terms, business operations, and product development. You’ll need to be proactive and engaged, able to work well cross-functionally both internally and externally, excited about technology and e-commerce, and ready to roll your sleeves up and dig into tough legal problems to reach a creative solution.
- A J.D. from a top-tier law school and membership with at least one state bar (preferably California)
- A minimum of 8 years of related experience working at a leading law firm or in-house legal department (in-house experience, especially at a tech company or retailer, a plus)
- A successful track record of managing strategic partner negotiations and contract drafting from start to finish
- Strong negotiation presence and the ability to lead teams working towards a goal
- Sound and practical business judgment and ability to manage multiple, high priority, competing priorities
- Familiarity with legal issues affecting the Internet and e-commerce spaces (such as copyright, privacy, employment, SaaS, advertising, and payments)
- The ability to provide clear, concise legal advice, work effectively cross-functionally to drive to results
- Experience in corporate law, pharmaceutical law, alcohol law, and/or privacy and data security laws (including GDPR and US-EU Privacy Shield) a plus
- A team player
Founded in 2012, Instacart is a leader in North American online groceries and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Our same-day delivery and pickup services bring everyday essentials and fresh groceries to consumers in the U.S. and Canada in as fast as an hour. We have partnered with more than 300 beloved national, regional and local retailers to deliver from more than 20,000 stores across more than 5,500 cities in North America.
We believe that great people are the ingredients for success. We like to think that we are like a potluck—everyone brings something new, different and flavorful to the table. We believe that just as meals are best shared together, success is best shared together. Our mix of thoughtful, inventive and neighborly employees work together to deliver our common goal: to make grocery shopping effortless for everyone. If this resonates with you, then Instacart just might be the place for you. Welcome home.