ABOUT THE JOB
Our legal team is growing! Instacart is seeking a talented Labor and Employment Counsel to handle a wide variety of traditional labor and employment matters that are core to the company’s business and growth. You will serve as a trusted advisor to senior leaders of the company in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of labor relations strategies, programs and policies at a national level. You’ll work closely with teams like human resources, communications, and operations to provide expert legal advice and help tackle novel and thorny cross-disciplinary issues related to labor and employment law. You must have the ability to operate independently in a fast-paced environment, prioritize a dynamic and varied workload, and possess excellent judgment. You’ll also need to be proactive and engaged, able to work well cross-functionally both internally and externally, excited about technology and e-commerce, and ready to roll up your sleeves and dig into tough problems!
- Partnering closely with Human Resources and business partners to evaluate legal risks and provide subject matter knowledge on a broad range of labor and employment issues, including wage and hour, recruiting and hiring, training, employee management, and HR best practices
- Developing and managing an effective labor relations program through partnering closely with business partners and key stakeholders; directing the implementation of proactive and creative labor relations strategies, including drafting and revising a variety of company policies and messaging; and building relationships with labor leaders
- Handling and resolving labor and employment claims and litigation, including investigations, grievances, unfair labor practice charges, and arbitrations; and managing outside counsel on such matters
- Drafting and revising a variety of employment-related agreements and other written content such as offer letters, contractor agreements, vendor agreements, and more
- Assisting in public policy matters as it relates to labor and employment law
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams to structure labor and employment law compliance across multiple jurisdictions
- Thinking ahead, seeing around corners, and helping to prepare for and address labor and employment issues that may arise in the future
- J.D. from a top-tier law school and membership with at least one state bar (preferably California)
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in labor and employment litigation and counseling matters (experience with National Labor Relations Board election rules and procedures, and negotiating and implementing union contracts preferred)
- Deep subject matter knowledge and experience with federal and state labor and employment laws in multiple jurisdictions (including California) and across a wide range of issues
- Proven track record of providing pragmatic and reasoned advice to HR and business partners
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves, get into the legal nitty gritty, and the ability to exercise sound judgment when approaching novel problems without clear answers
Founded in 2012, Instacart is a leader in North American online groceries and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Our same-day delivery and pickup services bring everyday essentials and fresh groceries to consumers in the U.S. and Canada in as fast as an hour. We have partnered with more than 300 beloved national, regional and local retailers to deliver from more than 20,000 stores across more than 5,500 cities in North America.
We believe that great people are the ingredients for success. We like to think that we are like a potluck—everyone brings something new, different and flavorful to the table. We believe that just as meals are best shared together, success is best shared together. Our mix of thoughtful, inventive and neighborly employees work together to deliver our common goal: to make grocery shopping effortless for everyone. If this resonates with you, then Instacart just might be the place for you. Welcome home.