The Instacart Engineering team seeks an Engineering Manager to build systems that enhance the quality and timeliness of our Catalog data.
The Catalog Team at Instacart is responsible for the accuracy, health and analytics of our Catalog data. The Catalog Vending Team builds and operates high scale systems responsible for marshalling data into the downstream systems that drive the customer experience. The team is also responsible for systems that monitor the quality of the data and the impact data quality improvements have on Instacart’s business.
In this role, you will build high reliability systems and processes at scale that impact billions of rows of data and directly impact the customer experience. You will support iterative development of models that improve data quality through rigorous experimentation.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Catalog Vending touches many different components within the Instacart universe. You will have an opportunity to establish close and effective collaboration with other leaders across the organization, and help to define the most effective business processes and procedures supported by the Catalog team.
- Manage a back-end Engineering team and manage the development of features and infrastructure, while being responsible for the operational excellence of the team.
- Prioritize work for your team, making difficult tradeoffs on design based on business constraints, ensuring on-time deliverables and high-quality software.
- You are a Technical Manager, who will provide guidance, and support to the team, including system/design/code review, and ultimately be responsible for the health of the systems your team builds.
- Participate in interviewing, hiring decisions, on-boarding, and mentoring new Engineers with the goal of quickly making them productive members of your team.
- Develop a team culture of ownership, teamwork, and empathy that reinforces the core values of Instacart.
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent work experience
- 2+ years of experience managing a team of Software Engineers
- Strong ability to balance business needs, a sense of urgency, and the shipping of high quality and pragmatic solutions
- Knowledge of industry best practices for building large scale and highly reliable consumer applications
- Strong analytical skills and a strong sense of ownership
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Instacart’s same-day delivery and pickup services bring fresh groceries and everyday essentials to busy people and families across the U.S. and Canada in as fast as an hour. Since its founding in 2012, Instacart has become an essential service for millions of families, while also serving as an immediate, flexible earnings opportunity for hundreds of thousands of shoppers across North America. The company partners with more than 350 retailers and delivers from more than 25,000 stores across more than 5,500 cities in North America. Today, Instacart is accessible to more than 85% of households in the U.S. and more than 70% of households in Canada.
We believe that great people are the ingredients for success. We like to think that we are like a potluck—everyone brings something new, different and flavorful to the table. We believe that just as meals are best shared together, success is best shared together. Our mix of thoughtful, inventive and neighborly employees work together to deliver our common goal: to create a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. If this resonates with you, then Instacart just might be the place for you.