We're looking for experienced operations research scientists to join our fast moving team. We work on a range of interesting and challenging problems, from making sure deliveries are efficient and on-time to helping customers decide what to buy. Machine learning and Operations Research are at the heart of this effort and an essential ingredient in Instacart's aggressive growth plan and vision for the future.
We love operations research scientists who are motivated not only by researching new solutions, but by owning the problem end to end. There is tremendous opportunity in front of us, and joining now gives you a chance to grow your career and interests as we succeed.
ABOUT THE JOB
- You will work on real-time fulfillment systems and come up with scalable solutions to continuously evolving and incredibly challenging logistics problems.
- You will be dedicated to a small cross-discipline product team, with tremendous ownership and responsibility for managing things directly.
- You will be an active member of an internal community of data scientists, operations research scientists and machine learning engineers sharing learnings, best practices and research across many domains.
- You will ship high quality solutions with a sense of urgency and speed.
- You will work closely with engineers, product managers, other teams, and both internal and external stakeholders, owning a large part of the process from problem understanding to shipping the solution.
- You will have the freedom to suggest and drive organization-wide initiatives.
- You will mentor others on best practices for design and implementation of cutting-edge OR solutions.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Operations Research, Applied Mathematics or a related field
- 4+ years of industry experience using operations research to solve real-world problems (2+ years with a PhD)
- Expertise in mathematical optimization, and implementing scalable tailored solution approaches and heuristics to solve optimization problems
- Experience building real-time optimization engines and predictive modeling. Direct experience working on balancing supply and demand in a complex marketplace is a big plus.
- 3+ years experience in building models and developing scalable algorithms for machine learning, mathematical programming and simulation
- 2+ years experience with developing heuristic methods, problem decomposition and optimization using PuLP, Gurobi, CPLEX or related tools
- 2+ years experience in handling data and writing production applications using Python (pandas, numpy etc), R, SQL
- A blend of operations research, data mining, predictive modeling, statistical analysis and people knowledge that lets you jump into a fast paced environment and contribute from day one
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Instacart’s same-day delivery and pickup services bring fresh groceries and everyday essentials to busy people and families across the U.S. and Canada in as fast as an hour. Since its founding in 2012, Instacart has become an essential service for millions of families, while also serving as an immediate, flexible earnings opportunity for hundreds of thousands of shoppers across North America. The company partners with more than 350 retailers and delivers from more than 25,000 stores across more than 5,500 cities in North America. Today, Instacart is accessible to more than 85% of households in the U.S. and more than 70% of households in Canada.
We believe that great people are the ingredients for success. We like to think that we are like a potluck—everyone brings something new, different and flavorful to the table. We believe that just as meals are best shared together, success is best shared together. Our mix of thoughtful, inventive and neighborly employees work together to deliver our common goal: to create a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. If this resonates with you, then Instacart just might be the place for you.