As a cloud-native startup, Instacart continues to grow at a record pace. Both as a product and a company the rapid evolution and problem solving requires passionate and professional software engineers focused on the infrastructure. The development culture at Instacart is centered around Service Ownership which means this is not an “Ops Team” job. Our role is not to carry the pager for others but to engage with teams to help them make good design and operational decisions. We create storage solutions for Instacart that are scalable, reliable, and observable, and we write tools and interfaces for the application developers to make their use and ownership of storage seamless and efficient.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Assess application storage needs and build multi-facet storage solutions for different uses (for example: hot/cold data storage, source-of-truth data for analytics and volatile storage for in process use, denormalized data storage for different query patterns)
- Build tools for visibility and control of storage platforms
- Research and monitor scale breaking points
- Consult on schema architecture
- Mentor less experienced engineers
- Participate in rotations to cover interrupt work and incidents
- Open to remote applications, with preference for EDT timezone
- 5+ years experience
- Strong experience with Ruby/Python/Go/PostgreSQL/AWS are required
- Your understanding of database technologies goes beyond the surface. You enjoy exploring the details of what does and does not work well under the hood of a storage engine
- You have a customer focus. You are attentive to the needs of your application engineering partners and design solutions that fit their requirements
- You are experienced and professional enough to manage your time, deflect distractions when necessary and drive projects to completion
- You care about other people enough that you are thoughtful about what you say and open to feedback from others
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Instacart’s same-day delivery and pickup services bring fresh groceries and everyday essentials to busy people and families across the U.S. and Canada in as fast as an hour. Since its founding in 2012, Instacart has become an essential service for millions of families, while also serving as an immediate, flexible earnings opportunity for hundreds of thousands of shoppers across North America. The company partners with more than 400 retailers and delivers from more than 25,000 stores across more than 5,500 cities in North America. Today, Instacart is accessible to more than 85% of households in the U.S. and more than 70% of households in Canada.
We believe that great people are the ingredients for success. We like to think that we are like a potluck—everyone brings something new, different and flavorful to the table. We believe that just as meals are best shared together, success is best shared together. Our mix of thoughtful, inventive and neighborly employees work together to deliver our common goal: to create a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. If this resonates with you, then Instacart just might be the place for you.