We're looking for experienced economists to join our fast-moving team. Economists at Instacart work on a range of interesting and challenging problems, from aligning the incentives in our multi-sided marketplace to analyzing the role of prices and product placement in our customers' decision-making. We're looking for economists who are comfortable using both theory and data to tackle these and similar questions.
There is tremendous opportunity in front of us, and joining now gives you a chance to grow your career and interests as we succeed.
ABOUT THE JOB
- You will be dedicated to a small cross-discipline product team, with tremendous ownership and responsibility for managing things directly.
- You will be an active member of an internal community, including economists, data scientists, operations research scientists and machine learning engineers sharing learnings, best practices and research across many domains.
- You will develop high impact solutions to support Instacart's ambitious growth plans.
- You will work closely with engineers, product managers, other teams, and both internal and external stakeholders, owning a large part of the process from problem understanding to recommending a solution and testing it in controlled experiments.
- You will have the freedom to suggest and drive organization-wide initiatives.
- 3+ years of academic or industry experience in an economics role, preferable working on data-intense problems
- A graduate degree in economics or equivalent experience
- A blend of economic theory, applied econometrics, and business skills that let you jump into a fast-paced environment and contribute from day one
- Strong programming skills in Python or R and at least basic knowledge in data manipulation (SQL, Pandas) and econometrics / machine learning (e.g., statsmodels, scikit-learn, XGBoost, Keras/Tensorflow) tools
- An ability to identify and prioritize high-impact problems and deliver solutions that provide reasonable trade-offs between urgency and quality.
- Willing and able to travel internationally based on job requirements
- Expertise in causal inference with observational and experimental data
- Self-motivation and a strong sense of ownership
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Instacart’s same-day delivery and pickup services bring fresh groceries and everyday essentials to busy people and families across the U.S. and Canada in as fast as an hour. Since its founding in 2012, Instacart has become an essential service for millions of families, while also serving as an immediate, flexible earnings opportunity for hundreds of thousands of shoppers across North America. The company partners with more than 400 retailers and delivers from more than 25,000 stores across more than 5,500 cities in North America. Today, Instacart is accessible to more than 85% of households in the U.S. and more than 70% of households in Canada.
We believe that great people are the ingredients for success. We like to think that we are like a potluck—everyone brings something new, different and flavorful to the table. We believe that just as meals are best shared together, success is best shared together. Our mix of thoughtful, inventive and neighborly employees work together to deliver our common goal: to create a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. If this resonates with you, then Instacart just might be the place for you.