The mission of the Customers Platform team is to create systems that enable our Customers teams to build faster, safer, and bigger. We do this by improving our core architecture, building component libraries to match our cross-platform design system, creating developer tools, and enhancing our testing infrastructure. All other Customers teams will lean on this team, so it plays a very central role in how we move forward technically as a company.
Running a team that’s creating systems to help us reach the next 10X requires a variety of skills and comes with many exciting challenges. Your biggest challenges will focus on how to help our teams get more done with less, how to make our apps load faster, how to get the teams to adopt new technologies, and how to ensure we can move quicker with confidence. You’ll help build the systems underlying the largest online grocery store in North America.
ABOUT THE JOB
- You will manage a team of full stack engineers (Rails, iOS, Android, front-end) focusing on infrastructure, architecture, and tooling.
- You will work with many teams within the Customers organization to understand their needs, and to help move them onto new systems, tooling, and technologies.
- You will help prioritize work for your team, making difficult tradeoffs on design based on business constraints, ensuring on-time deliverables and high-quality software.
- You will provide hands-on technical management, guidance, and support including system/design/code review, and ultimately be responsible for the health of the systems your team builds.
- You will participate in interviewing, hiring decisions, on-boarding, and mentoring of new engineers with the goal of quickly making them productive members of your team.
- You will develop a team culture of ownership that reinforces the core values of Instacart!
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of experience managing a team of software engineers
- The ability to balance business needs, a sense of urgency, and shipping high quality and pragmatic solutions
- Knowledge of industry best practices for building large scale and highly reliable consumer applications
- Strong analytical skills and a sense of ownership
- Strong understanding of how to improve productivity across an organization
- Good understanding of what architectural or tooling improvements are needed on different platforms (BE, FE, iOS, Android)
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Instacart’s same-day delivery and pickup services bring fresh groceries and everyday essentials to busy people and families across the U.S. and Canada in as fast as an hour. Since its founding in 2012, Instacart has become an essential service for millions of families, while also serving as an immediate, flexible earnings opportunity for hundreds of thousands of shoppers across North America. The company partners with more than 350 retailers and delivers from more than 25,000 stores across more than 5,500 cities in North America. Today, Instacart is accessible to more than 85% of households in the U.S. and more than 70% of households in Canada.
We believe that great people are the ingredients for success. We like to think that we are like a potluck—everyone brings something new, different and flavorful to the table. We believe that just as meals are best shared together, success is best shared together. Our mix of thoughtful, inventive and neighborly employees work together to deliver our common goal: to create a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. If this resonates with you, then Instacart just might be the place for you.