We're looking for staff level machine learning engineers to join our team. We work on a range of interesting and challenging problems, from ensuring deliveries are efficient and on-time to helping customers decide what to buy. Machine learning is at the heart of this effort and an essential ingredient in Instacart's aggressive growth plan and vision for the future.
- As Instacart grows and takes on more challenging ambitions, we look to staff engineers to raise the level of execution overall and be technical leaders with both depth of knowledge and broad influence. In addition, they are strong communicators, excellent mentors and effective cross-functional operators.
ABOUT THE JOB
- This is an individual contributor role with significant impact both within the machine learning team and on product team(s) you will collaborate with
- You will be responsible for technical roadmaps and will collaborate with Product Management, Data science, Product Engineering and Design to shape the overall product roadmap
- You will conceive and lead projects while being a hands-on builder of machine learning software components
- You will be a strategic thought partner for leaders across the organization on driving business impact through machine learning
- You will coach and mentor the next generation of strong engineers on the team
- Have 6+ years of industry experience using machine learning to solve real-world problems with large datasets
- Have a graduate degree in artificial intelligence, machine learning or equivalent self study and experience
- Have strong programming skills in Python and fluency in data manipulation (SQL, Spark, Pandas) and machine learning (scikit-learn, XGBoost, Keras/Tensorflow) tools
- Have experience leading multiple projects of varying scope and complexity in more than one problem space
- Are a technical leader who is comfortable handling projects of significant complexity and ambiguity
- Are a strong communicator who can collaborate with diverse stakeholders across all levels
- Strong expertise in one or more of the areas:
- Search relevance, recommendations or ads targeting
- Combining machine learning and operations research to solve optimal routing, inventory management or marketing mix optimization
- Fraud Detection, Anomaly Detection and Time-series Forecasting
Instacart is the North American leader in online grocery and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Instacart’s same-day delivery and pickup services bring fresh groceries and everyday essentials to busy people and families across the U.S. and Canada in as fast as an hour. Since its founding in 2012, Instacart has become an essential service for millions of families, while also serving as an immediate, flexible earnings opportunity for hundreds of thousands of shoppers across North America. The company partners with more than 400 retailers and delivers from more than 25,000 stores across more than 5,500 cities in North America. Today, Instacart is accessible to more than 85% of households in the U.S. and more than 70% of households in Canada.
We believe that great people are the ingredients for success. We like to think that we are like a potluck—everyone brings something new, different and flavorful to the table. We believe that just as meals are best shared together, success is best shared together. Our mix of thoughtful, inventive and neighborly employees work together to deliver our common goal: to create a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. If this resonates with you, then Instacart just might be the place for you.