The Benefits Manager will be responsible for leave administration, workers’ compensation and medical accommodations and OSHA compliance. This will include managing vendor relationships, owning and driving process improvement and policy development in various areas, assisting with other project-based work as needed.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Manage U.S. and Canada time off programs (including PTO, disability, maternity, personal, family and other leave programs).
- Manage U.S. and Canada workers’ compensation and safety programs
- Manage vendor relationships to ensure timely, accurate, and compliant administration of claim forms, life and disability insurance, payroll reporting, wage statements and benefit payments.
- Work collaboratively with HR Partners, Managers, Payroll, Legal, Workplace and other key partners to ensure the proper policies and practices are in place to mitigate risk associated with leaves of absence.
- Use proficient understanding of plan design and administrative procedures to drive constant improvement, facilitating more effective/efficient leave processes.
- Monitor compliance with formal policies, review exception requests and personal leaves of absence requests and make appropriate recommendations.
- Serve as primary contact/representative for sensitive and escalated employee concerns, appeals and claims.
- Interpret and administer leave programs and policies in accordance with applicable federal and state employment laws (FMLA, ADA, USERRA, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, etc.). Ensures that the workers’ compensation program is managed in accordance with applicable OSHA and workers’ compensation laws.
- Develop, plan and manage complex projects related to the implementation of new or updated federal, state or local paid leave, paid time off and other associated benefits.
- Develop and implement training materials to ensure that key stakeholders are informed of the processes for requesting reasonable accommodations. Educate managers on reasonable accommodations.
- Maintain OSHA logs and all required reporting and postings.
- Own and maintain all Workplace Labor Law posters and binders across all locations.
- Assist with questions related to health and welfare benefits, including aiding employees in enrolling in their benefits during a life event change (e.g. birth of child).
- Develop new programs and policies as needed (e.g., ergonomics program, pets at work, new parents, lactation rooms/scheduling, accommodations, workplace safety)
- Expertise with management and administration of benefits and leave programs in both the U.S. and Canada
- Knowledge of best practices and processing requirements relating to leave of absence management.
- Understanding of applicable requirements, regulations, and federal and state laws relating to leaves of absence, reasonable accommodations and workers’ compensation (e.g. FMLA, ADA, FEHA, PDL, etc.)
- Knowledge of benefit plan administration and management, ERISA, ACA, HIPAA and IRS regulations required.
- Experience working with and managing multiple vendors, including brokers.
- Demonstrated ability to lead projects from beginning to end
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and time management skills.
- Ability to properly handle confidential and sensitive information and materials; understanding and application of HIPAA.
- Ability to effectively articulate administrative and documentation requirements, enrollment processes, and eligibility and leave policy information to employees and managers.
- Proficiency in G Suite (Gmail, Hangouts, Calendar, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms)
- Proficiency with Workday required.
- Ability to balance being a strong team player and working independently with a strong sense of urgency.
- Experience working in retail and/or field operations
Founded in 2012, Instacart is a leader in North American online groceries and one of the fastest-growing companies in e-commerce. Our same-day delivery and pickup services bring everyday essentials and fresh groceries to consumers in the U.S. and Canada in as fast as an hour. We have partnered with more than 300 beloved national, regional and local retailers to deliver from more than 20,000 stores across more than 5,500 cities in North America.
We believe that great people are the ingredients for success. We like to think that we are like a potluck—everyone brings something new, different and flavorful to the table. We believe that just as meals are best shared together, success is best shared together. Our mix of thoughtful, inventive and neighborly employees work together to deliver our common goal: to make grocery shopping effortless for everyone. If this resonates with you, then Instacart just might be the place for you. Welcome home.